Day 16: Church and barbeque

Sunday I went to church in the morning, barely biking there on time to be picked up.  But still on time.  There were actually quite a few Americans there this week, visiting for various reasons.  They had 41 people, which is quite rare for them.  I didn't get much out of the first two hours this week, but the third hour I understood almost all of.  It helped that half the people there spoke English as their native language, and one of them had an English version of the reading material available.

After church, Yukie picked me up from the train station and we went to a barbeque she and some friends had put together for a few of the host families and their students, both current and former.  So there were a bunch of people there who I didn't know, but it was still fun.  We were outside in a park area next to a small stream.  After everyone had eaten, most of us went down to the water and watched the kids catch frogs, bugs, and fish.  It was a good time.  Unfortunately, I got sunburned on the back of my neck, and probably some on my arms and face, but not noticeably.  I got burned a lot worse on my first Sunday here at the softball game.  It took most of the first week for my skin to not look red anymore.

So that was Sunday.  I can't think of anything else exciting that happened.  Unfortunately, no pictures, since I didn't bring my camera to church (and hence to the picnic).  But Yukie did bring a change of clothes for me in the car, so I wasn't out there all day in my suit.  That would have been horrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment